Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Castaway Cay

I grew up in Disney World, but hadn't been on a Disney cruise until mom took A and I on one of the inaugural voyages of the Disney Dream.

The grand Disney Dream, ain't she a beauty?
Gosh, sometimes my life sounds like a dream.


A and I were so excited. First of all, we had the chance to explore this brand new boat together, and report back to the rest of our friends and family on how awesome it is. Also, we were newly legal drinkers, and trust me when I say if you've only cruised underage - it's way better with a glass of champagne or a mudslide in hand.

One of the things we were most excited about was Castaway Cay, Disney's private island in the Caribbean  However, on the day we were meant to dock there, the boat encountered forty knot winds, and the Captain simply could not get us into port.

Needless to say, we were devastated.

I love the color of the water in the Caribbean. It's perfect.
So last week, I was going down to Florida anyway to watch A and my sister, M run in the Princess Half Marathon. I don't know how they do it. People who run are crazy, but I digress. Mom invited me to join her again on the Disney Dream for the four days following the race. A didn't come this time, as she had midterms, but mom and I still had a great time.

I was worried. Because it was a winter cruise, the seas tend to be rougher, making it harder to dock at smaller ports, such as Disney's private one on Castaway Cay. However, at the captain's cocktail party, I met the man in charge (No, not Mickey!) and asked Captain Henry if we would make it.

He promised we would this time, especially since I missed it last time.

Colorful umbrellas and pastel beach chairs dotted the shoreline.

He lived up to his promise, and I made it onto the beautiful beaches of Castaway Cay. I got the chance to eat the yummy food from Cookie's Barbecue, and I got to watch one of the world famous crab races - which is probably the most adorable thing in the entire world.

We spent the day lounging on the beach, jumping into the Caribbean and swimming with tiny silver fish that were terrified of our shadows. We drank two-for-one mojitos - pineapple for mom, and raspberry for me. And we boarded back onto the Dream in time for trivia and sail away.

See ya real soon!
It was a wonderful trip, and I'm so glad I finally got to go to Castaway Cay. Don't worry about A though, she's a Disney cast member, so she's been back on the Dream without me, and has also been to the island!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...