Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Comfort Food

I had a rough night on Saturday, and it wasn't because of drinking. Actually, I did a really fantastic job of limiting and pacing myself this weekend. I managed to get a good buzz going on Friday, without feeling sick! Improvement.



Sometimes, life just hits you in the face. Everything that's going wrong comes rushing into your head all at once, and there's not much you can do about it. Saturday night I had a pretty good cry. Some friends tried to help, but honestly, they may have just made me feel worse.



When I'm in a bad mood like that, I turn to one of three things: a good book so I can escape into the lives and problems of someone else, a buddy and a beer at the bar to yell at some professional athletes on tv, or my favorite: some comfort food.



For most people, comfort food is like mac & cheese or mashed potatoes - heavy, fattening carbs. For me, though, it's all about the nostalgia. Sunday morning, it was Dunkin Donuts (yeah, yeah, donuts are fattening carbs, I know) for a Boston kreme and an sweetened iced tea.

The other night it was pizza fondue - a dish we used to eat at camp, which is pretty much cheesy pasta sauce that you dip veggies, bread, and bite sized meatballs and sausages in. I made it with some homemade garlic bread, and had a root beer.



Food just makes me feel better, and I don't feel bad about that. Curly fries with a sweet and spicy dipping sauce from my favorite bar, strawberries and cream, a cold glass of seltzer - these are all things that make me feel happier.

In fact, I think I'm going to go make some vegetarian alphabet soup right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...