Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

May in Review

I know it's been a couple weeks since I've posted, but hopefully this quick review post will let you know what I've been up to and why I haven't been as attentive as I would have liked to this blog.



So, here we are at the end of May, which is honestly crazy, because I'm nearly positive I was pulling out my green Flogging Molly t-shirt to wear to the bar on St Paddy's like last week or so. However, a lot has happened since the middle of March, and much of it in this great month of May.



My favorite part of May is the way it goes from 45 degree highs to 55 degree lows. May is truly the closest thing we get to a real spring in upstate New York, and that's kind of only because we just alternate winter and summer days. So let's break this up:

Work and School

My job is still in the area of nonexistent. I'm going to start checking out local places again, just to get some spare cash to throw into my savings. In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out how I can turn blogging into a full time job, since I really love doing it.

I'm still taking classes, but the course load is way down as the colleges offering classes are mostly on summer break. If I feel like I have too much downtime, I'll pick up some others or teach myself some coding in my spare time.



Life

I moved into a new apartment, but I'm just subletting it for the summer. It's a really nice place, and I'm definitely paying less than it's worth, which is awesome. I can walk to a couple restaurants including a Starbucks, a bar, and a nice bar/cafe/coffee shop that I love. There's also a pretty good bus system.

Mom and dad want me to take driving lessons, so once things settle down from moving here (which they've started to) I'm going to call some local driving schools and get an estimate. Having a license would be useful. I also have a bike which need to be fixed so I can learn to ride that as well. (I know, I know. I'm transportationally challenged).

Things are going so so well with The Boy. I swear, everyday I like him more, which is pretty impressive, because I always feel like I've maxed out, and then he does something perfect or adorable and I just fall for him again. We have cute inside jokes and spend way more time together than we should, but hey, he might move soon and I don't want to have wasted a moment.

Computers

My laptop finally gave up on itself. I was using it one day and it just beeped at me, shut off, and then smoke started coming up through the keyboard. I tried to turn it on once since then, and it couldn't handle it. So, I'm getting a new laptop - about time. I had that Gateway convertible for almost six years. Computers don't have that kind of longevity.

My desktop has been in transit, but it's pretty much settled into it's new summer home. The problem is that even though this place is air conditioned, with my computer on my bedroom is about 95 degrees, so I try to keep it off most of the time. Once I have my laptop, I'll spend more time in Starbucks, so it's all good.



Sports

We're in the middle of hockey playoffs, and right now I'm rooting for Boston over the Pens and Chicago over the Kings. No real reason for the west, but for the east I have to root against the team in the same division as my precious Devils.

I'm starting to follow a little baseball, not the Yankees (sorry mom and dad, but at least it's not the Sox). The boyfriend has gotten me into appreciating a club that's had some hardships, and I'm beginning to fall for the Cubs. He says they'll break my heart, though.

And, umm, how long until football preseason starts? Just over two months, right.




So that's basically my life at the end of May. Here's some quick hits of what I did this month. Maybe some of 'em will get full dedicated posts in the coming weeks:

  • My bar did a fundraiser for one of our bartenders that was injured in the Boston marathon bombings. He's back home now recovering after surgeries and hospital time. He also got to throw the first pitch at a Red Sox game.
  • Celebrated one month with The Boy, and now we're planning an adventure for two months! We're thinking we might hike out to a waterfall. I also met his parents who seem very nice.
  • Lots of playoff hockey games (which all went into overtime) which means lots of time clocked at the bar. I love it there since they have tons of awesome beer and great bartenders, though, so it's all good.
  • Went to a couple baseball games, including one featuring a bunch of hall of famers and another that required a four hour each way road trip to Pittsburgh. Pretty fun!
  • A lot of my friends left town when school let out, which is sad. A few are still around, and so I'll try and see them this summer but I hate when this place turns into a ghost town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...