Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

On Intro and Extroversion

The Boy is an introvert, loud as he can be.



He needs to go home and recharge by himself playing a round of Civ 5 or watching the Cubs game. I'm not like that. I like to be surrounded by people. While I tend to tip toe over the line between introvert and extrovert (sometimes, I just need a breather from large groups) being with one or two select people actually helps energize me.


This, of course, means that I tend to seek out company from people, and sometimes they can't provide me with all the attention I need. I know, I get it. I shouldn't be so attention-seeking and needy and whatever words you want to use. But we are social creatures, and I need social interaction. Even if that interaction is just grabbing ice cream with a friend or cuddling and watching Doctor Who with the Boy.

If you do this alone in WalMart, people just think you're insane

Summer is the worst time for me. Many of my friends have gone home to spend the summer with family and work local jobs in the towns in which they grew up. My parents long since moved out of my hometown, and so I never had this option.

Some friends have good summer internships and co-ops with potential future employers. Some friends have graduated and moved on to new chapters in their lives. Thinking about these friends generally just gets me depressed (or occasionally super motivated to job search myself).

I can pretty much make friends anywhere
In this time of year, I tend to depend on one or two close friends to keep me company, but I can't always expect them to drop everything and come running. So there are days I find myself alone or walking to the bar to seek out any social interaction.

Last summer, I walked two miles to a bar, sat down alone and just started listening to people's conversations. When I found one that was interesting, I joined in. Two boys and I talked and laughed and drank some beer together. One of them got my number, and drove me home after a midnight snack with everyone. I never heard from him again.

Bowling: Just not a solo activity
When I'm in an extroverted mood, these temporary friends become the most important people in my entire life. In an introverted mood, I want nothing more than to get the hell out of the crowded bar, club, or party. The grass is always greener, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...