Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Month in Music: January 2015



Each month, I make a Spotify playlist with songs that I'm feeling for the month. Follow me on Spotify to see these lists as they are made. At the end of the month, I'll post the playlist here, with some explanation for the songs that have been filling my speakers, and how they relate to my life.

Oh January. To most people, you symbolize a fresh start. In musical terms, you represent finally getting The First Noel unstuck from my head. Between the Holiday Season recovery, winter weather warnings, and going into hibernation mode with far too many carbs, I like my January music to be relaxed, but not so much that it makes me want to crawl back into my cozy bed.

Only You - The Platters
Such Great Heights - The Postal Service
5 Years Time - Noah and the Whale

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm just kicking back with you"


This year, the first month has represented a bit of a change for me, but not exactly in the resolution sense. For the first time, my boyfriend and I are actually living together, without traveling every other weekend for holidays, family, and sporting events with friends.

We are trying to mesh our lifestyles together, and sometimes that's harder than we make it look. We grew up in very different families, and it's time for us each to decide what aspects of our childhoods we want our lives to include. And we're also making those decisions together. It's easy to forget why, so a few love songs can put my mind back in place.

Super Rad - The Aquabats
Get Ready 2 Rokk - Freezepop
Hand in My Pocket - Alanis Morisette

"And what it all comes down to, is everything's gonna be fine, fine, fine"


Finances are a big part of our lives right now, along with budgeting. While I'm unemployed, we don't want to spend any unnecessary money. One paycheck in this part of the country is just not enough for luxuries. However, we find ways to treat ourselves when we have to.

During my job search, motivation is extremely important. It's easy to get distracted by the internet, and it's tough to face rejections. I'm finding motivation in my music, either by listening to the words, or singing along. When it comes to these songs, I'm not looking for something that will get me up and moving, like a workout playlist, but just some tunes that get my mind into the right frame

The World Spins Madly On - The Weepies
New Slang - The Shins
1,2,3,4 - Feist

"I watch the stars from my window sill, the whole world is moving and I'm standing still"



I spend a lot of time with myself out here. Days when the Boy works, it's mostly just me, Tessa, and my computer. I find myself with a lot of time to think, write, and work on projects. I also find that there are times when I don't want to do any of those things, and I am just trapped in my own head.

These relaxed, and somewhat sad, songs give me company. They exist on a plane that is the same as mine, and in that moment that I am listening, they are a friend. And really, isn't that what music is supposed to be overall?

But wait, there's more ...

That's not the entire playlist, just the songs that are really resonating with me. I'm always listening just for the sake of good music as well. And I'm constantly trying to expand my musical horizons. Check out the entire playlist below:


Please leave me music suggestions: What have you been listening to this month? Any particular reason?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...