Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

In Like A Lion

One of my favorite things about March (And I'm reaching here, as March is probably one of my least favorite months ...) is that old phrase that it "comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb."



I probably only like this phrase because it mentions lions, and I've always sort of related to lions in a strange way.

My ex-boyfriend and I used to play this weird game - there are very few things I do that aren't weird, I'm aware - where we would choose one of our friends and basically assign an animal to them that fit their personality.

He was a wolf, kind of a pack animal, definitely canine, enjoys the winter weather. I was a lion, feline in many ways, likes to sleep twenty hours a day but when I want something enough I'll go after it.



Our roommates were other various animals. We had a wise, nocturnal owl; a go-with-the-flow type but with a sting, jellyfish; and a cat-like attacker who loved to play in water, or a tiger (who I later dated, but, umm, that's another story ...)

Like I said, we just weren't normal. But I've always liked animals. Not in that little girl, "I wanna be a veterinarian" sort of way. No, I always knew that I had no real place being any sort of medical doctor. I liked them in an "Aww, look at the kitty/puppy/snake/lizard/bird, how cute" way.

I read ZooBorns religiously. It is probably one of my favorite websites of all time. I mean  come on, a blog that announces every time a baby animal is born at a zoo anywhere in the world, and then updates their progress with pictures and adorable videos. Yes, please!



Why is this not the most popular site of the internet? There's a ton of cat babies.

I've been known to go to Disney's Animal Kingdom and ride the Kilimanjaro Safari ride five times in a row. I always request the back seat, to get the best view of the animals and the best pictures of course.

When I was little, we had this drive-thru safari in New Jersey, and sometimes we'd take hours to go through it - just sitting and watching the baby bears play with hubcaps or letting the monkeys climb on the roof of the cars and watch them pull reflectors off a trailer.

So March reminds me of my love for animals, and I thought I share a little of that history with you. However, I kind of hope the lamb is on it's way, because I could definitely use some spring weather right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...