Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mini Quiches

It's not summer yet, but it's starting to get a little warmer.




I've actually seen the sun for the last couple days, and I'm sure that just saying that up here in upstate New York is a jinx in and of itself. However, the warmth is coming and we can't stop it.

In the meantime, I wanted to make something that featured one of my favorite summer foods, and my favorite vegetable of all time - zucchini. Normally, I'll put these summer squashes in every single thing I cook - stir fry, pasta sauce, one time I even fried and ate 'em.

Zucchini goes well with everything!


I wanted something that would feature the green vegetable but still kept me warm and cozy, as I look outside and still see some snow flurries in the air.

Fresh, green veggies are the best.


I talked about transition clothing, and to me these quiches are the perfect transition food. I made twelve, and I'll probably eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until they're gone. Light, flaky crust. Yummy, eggy middle with jalapeno cheddar, green veggies, sausage, and my two favorite spices of all time - garlic powder and white pepper.

Beating eggs. I kind of love whisks.


These are pretty much made for me, but you know, you can put whatever filling in them you choose. Bacon and cheddar, mushrooms, and various other vegetables. Experiment and have fun. Cooking is supposed to be an adventure, and making these definitely was for me.

Some people have a cooking beer or a cooking wine. I drink iced tea.


Zucchini, Spinach, and Sausage Mini Quiches with Jalapeno Cheddar

Makes 12

1 9" pre-made pie crust, or your favorite pie crust recipe
1/2 fresh zucchini, diced
1 cup fresh baby spinach, packed
5 cooked breakfast sausage links, sliced
12 1/2" cubes of jalapeno cheddar cheese
3 eggs
splash of milk
1 tsp olive oil
dashes of garlic powder and white pepper



I sprayed a muffin tin with olive oil flavored Pam, but just use your favorite nonstick spray, and preheat the oven to 400 F. Cut the pie crust into little circles and place one in each muffin spot.



Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and add the diced zucchini. Stir until the fleshy part starts to get a little bit transparent and then add the sausage. Stir for another couple minutes, then remove from pan and set aside.


Put the spinach in the already heated pan and cook down. I love cooking spinach, because it starts so big and fluffy and overflows the pan, but by the time you're done, it's like: where'd it all go? Once cooked down, set this aside as well. Whisk the three eggs with the milk and add to the spinach. Continue to stir.


All right, now it's time to put these babies together. In each pie crust add a cube of cheese, a teaspoon of the zucchini and sausage mixture, and a teaspoon of the spinach and egg mixture. Then continue to scoop in the egg, avoiding the spinach until the pie crusts all full.


Put them in the oven and cook for about twenty minutes or until the centers are set. Remember, the egg is the most important part to get cooked, since we precooked all the fillings. Let cool until you can touch, them remove them from the pan. Serve immediately or place in the fridge for later - heat up before serving.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...