Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pancake Cookies and Whip

Wait, wait. Two cooking posts in one week. Yes.



I'll tell you why. These are worth it. They are so, so worth it. I honestly think I may have just invented the next trendy dessert. It's really a shame only about fifteen people will see this, because these cookies are super delicious.


Have you ever had a plumcot? Or a pluot, which is the same thing but with a different name? It's like a plum-apricot hybrid. You take a bite and it taste like a plum. You take another bite and you're positive it's an apricot. No, definitely a pl-- wait a second.



Yeah, that's what these cookies are like. Except instead of two different stone fruits, it's breakfast and dessert. It's a perfect mid-afternoon snack (which is generally when I have breakfast anyway ...) or midnight treat (which is another good time for breakfast ... my time schedule is way off.)

I made these because I had some leftover heavy cream, and I needed something to go with homemade whipped cream. I was thinking cookies, but most are too heavy or just not quite right. Then it hit me - pancakes! They're perfect for whip. I just wasn't in the mood to whip up a whole batch of full-sized buttermilks, though. Thus, pancake cookies were born.



I read over my favorite pancake and sugar cookie recipes, taking the most important aspects of each - the healthy dose of sugar from the cookies, a tad of buttermilk from the pancakes - and combining it into a completely new recipe. Then I used a traditional pancake technique to cook, and it worked!

I love when experiments work.



I burned the first couple around the edges, but that's okay. I learned that these are not pancakes. They are thicker and need to cook on a lower heat. Also, these babies will test your spatula skills, as they proved to be fairly tough to flip.

So you wanna learn how to make them?

Ingredients

Start with these three ...

  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Tbs Butter, softened, not warm
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 1/3 c. Buttermilk or vinegared milk
  • 1/2 c. Sugar
  • 1 c. Flour

Directions

Whisk the egg, butter, vanilla, and buttermilk together in a medium-sized bowl. You're only going to use this one bowl if you play your cards right, so make sure it's big enough to fit the rest of the ingredients.

When it's fairly mixed, the butter will still be a little chunky. That's when you dump in the sugar and keep whisking. It's a whisk-heavy recipe. Sorry. Your arm muscles will thank you eventually. Add in the flour and mix until it's smooth. I'd switch to a spoon here. I didn't and it became a little tough to whisk.



The consistency is a little bit like cake batter - or somewhere between a cookie dough and pancake batter. This is just right, considering we're making a hybrid of those two things! You're going to want to lick the spoon. This batter tastes like a combination of frosting and vanilla pudding.

Fire up the griddle and butter it.



The griddle should be on low. If it's too hot, these guys'll burn, and you don't want that. Spoon some batter onto the pan and let it cook for a couple minutes. Be quick with your spatula and flip this over. It should look like a perfectly cooked pancake.

Serve with strawberries and homemade whipped cream if you're me. There's just something so rewarding about whipping your own cream. It gets bubbly and then the soft peaks form and then it can stand on its own. Sometimes I convince myself I'm going to whip it all by hand, but the electric mixer always wins in the end. Serve them with butter and maple syrup. Chocolate chips. Brown sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...